Monday, 25 May 2009



Ginger the Dead Egyptian



It's taken me some time to decide exactly how I am going to write this blog. I have foolishly taken far too much time mulling over all sorts of ideas. I even thought it would be interesting to write the blog from the point view of a ghost who lurks within the museum stores, watching over their collection and spying on the staff. But I think I was missing the point. This is my blog after all, and therefore it should consist of descriptions of my experiences in the museum... so here it goes.

I've always been interested in history, and have happy memories of my journeys through time. I remember working on topic books when I was in primary school, and really enjoying myself as I escaped the present. I embraced topics such as the "Tudors and Stuarts" to such a point that I used to dream I was friends with kings and queens of that time. I thought I couldn't be happier in my imaginary world, I thought nothing could be better than being friends with Joan of Arc. But that was before I studied the Egyptians...

I wasn't sure why we had to go all the way up to London for a school trip, I had never travelled that far on a school day before. But then I had never visited the British Museum before either. Gosh, it was amazing. I remember not knowing what to do with myself because I was so amazed and excited at seeing so many old things. Then, I saw him - Ginger. A 5400 year old mummy from Gebelein, Egypt. Here is the poem I wrote the night after I saw him.

Ginger the Dead Egyptian
He was called that because of his hair
He lay in a scrunched-up position
And really he was quite bare

His tongue was all dry and crispy
His tummy had all fallen in
Perhaps he died before dinner
And that’s what made him so thin!



2 comments:

  1. Sorry I messed that one up.
    What I said was....Good Lord I remember that poem, it was so good and still is, and you were so young when you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness he is really well preserved for being so old; what a wonderful poem for him.

    ReplyDelete