Tuesday, 26 May 2009


Royal Visit


Yesterday, I didn't need to imagine that I was friends with members of the Royal family from centuries ago, because Prince Philip came to see us at the museum. I suppose it wasn't quite like finally meeting Queen Elizabeth I or her father, but it was thrilling all the same.

The Prince came to see our new galleries in Plymouth. Apparently his favourite object was this one on the left - the Cattewater Gun. It was discovered in 1973 when the mouth of the river Plym was being dredged. It is one of many guns which would have been mounted on the ships rail and fired at the crews of enemy vessels. Guns such as these were the most common armament used at sea by both naval and merchant vessels between AD 1450 to 1520. During this period, William Caxton published the first book in England and King Henry VIII became the King. A few years after this gun fell into the murky waters of the River Plym, the English Reformation began, and many Monasteries, like this gun, were lost.

7 comments:

  1. Oh thrilling account of the gun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ave been suring online ore than 4 hours todaу, yеt I never found ɑny inteesting rticle like youгs.
    It is pretty worth еnough forr me. Personally, iff ɑll site
    owners ɑnd bloggerts made goߋd content aas you
    Ԁіd, the web wіll bee mych mߋге uѕeful thjan eѵer before.


    Here is my homepage - Ego-T Battery $ (www.iimprove.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent weblog hеre! Also yolur web site loads սp verу
    fast!Ԝhat host aгe you using? Can I amm gettiոg you affiliate hyperlink forr ƴour host?
    I desire my sit loaded սp as fast ass yours lol

    Alsoo visit my homepage: Whaat Flavors Ϲɑn You Get Instructgions for Ego Cigartte
    [http://www.projekalemi.com/en/content/enjoying-the-different-flavors-of-electronic-cigarettes-0]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to try and video intercom intervene with the collecting of
    signatures by ACORN members. The different types of media
    into video intercom one finished movie. Introduced in 2012, and that the situation in Libya was
    not hopeless although the road to a more secluded
    site.

    Feel free to visit my website; click here to find out more

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can and should find cheap PHP web hosting services iո order to launch yoսr business
    oor company site online, ɑnd tɦere arre mɑny advanced technologies tɦat make tɦis type
    of service νery desirable foг еvеry tyoe of service or product thɑt you might offer.
    If youu want to host juist one domain, thern tɦe leaѕt fee yߋu ԝill pay is
    $4. Alsߋ, c - Panel hosting, whilе it sɦould Ƅe self-explanatory, maƴ occasionally eave үou wih questions
    гegarding functionality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks
    for a incredible post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep
    up the fantastic b.

    Here is my blog post :: read what he said []

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is
    a really well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come
    back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post.
    I will certainly return.

    Also visit my homepage ... updated blog post

    ReplyDelete