Sunday, 14 March 2010

Music at Shoreditch Church

"When I grow Rich" say the Bells of Shoreditch...

I am not going to say that I know a lot about modern music, because I simply don't. To be honest whenever I hear its nonsense notes my brain screams for some order and then I usually either run away or turn off wherever it is coming from off. However, on Saturday night that was not an option, and I am rather glad it wasn't. Not the usual place one goes to on a Saturday night, but at 8pm I found myself sitting on a very hard pew with a plastic glass of red wine looking at a piano in candlelight, and then it started: Music Magnitude.


There is something incredibly beautiful about improvised music. I can only compare it to lovemaking - a group of musician making love together. Reading their next moves, listening intently to eachother and really trying not to phase the other musicians out. It's gentle and its all about not making a mistake and really trying to experience something that hits the audience and the musicians to the core. As I sat in the dim lit church looking at the angels I noticed all the faces of the people watching. Most gripped, hanging onto each note waiting for the next, because they didn't flow or seem to have any order. Others sniggering - they didn't understand the music, which is fine. I admit I didn't fully grasp it myself, but I did find myself drifting into a rather unusual world - helped by the venue. It was all a bit Hitchcock, but an extremely enojoyable evening all the same.


"Oranges and Lemons" say the Bells of St. Clements

"Bullseyes and Targets" say the Bells of St. Margaret's

"Brickbats and Tiles" say the Bells of St. Giles
"Halfpence and Farthings" say the Bells of St. Martin's

"Pancakes and Fritters" say the Bells of St. Peter's
"Two Sticks and an Apple" say the Bells of Whitechapel

"Maids in white aprons" say the Bells at St. Katherine's

"Pokers and Tongs" say the Bells of St. John's
"Kettles and Pans" say the Bells of St. Anne's

"Old Father Baldpate" say the slow Bells of Aldgate
"You owe me Ten Shillings" say the Bells of St. Helen's

"When will you Pay me?" say the Bells of Old Bailey

"When I grow Rich" say the Bells of Shoreditch
"Pray when will that be?" say the Bells of Stepney

"I do not know" say the Great Bell of Bow


Gay go up and gay go down
To Ring the Bells of London Town

1 comment:

  1. Good write up Jessie, I have only just found it. DO you think we might be overburdoning ourselves with all this internetting?

    ReplyDelete