Friday, 4 February 2011

Half a Day of Drawing...

So my next botanical illustration assignment is to paint a portrait of a vegetable... unlike the problems I had with fruit in not being able to choose one because I am not a massive fan of fruit, I am now spoilt for choice as I love vegetables... So, I decided to do some drawing. - I am supposed to be keeping a sketchbook after all... I would really like to draw a Romanesco, but it's too difficult. The problem with anything in a Fibonacci spiral is if you're just a little bit out, it's VERY obvious. I don't mind spirals on cones and sunflowers, but on a Romanesco... Well it's taking the micky. I do really like broad beans... but the foamy interior will be très difficile in watercolour. Other plants on my list are Kale, Rhubarb, Garlic and an Artichoke. If anyone has any suggestions, please leave a comment :)


Vicia faba (Broad Bean)

Asparagus officinalis (Asparagus)


Phaseolus coccineus (Runner Bean)


Pisum sativum (Pea)

Then I got board of drawing vegetables and thinking about them, so I tried a cone:


Not sure on the species name as I found it on the floor (Cone)

And then it was time for dinner... stuffed peppers with rosemary spuds, cinnamon and sage roasted butternut squash and a pomegranite and orange leaf salad, followed by an apple crumble (I had guests round and hence only half a day of drawing).

1 comment:

  1. Love the cone and the broad beans, well I love them all actually. What about a pomegranite for the next watercolour? Or the garlic, that is always a great one to do.

    VV Evasoo

    ReplyDelete