Sunday, 4 September 2011

 Updates from the InkyLeaves Studio

Wowee - I am not sure if anyone else has upgraded their blogs for the new layout but it is really snazzy! If only they were able to sort out why I wasn't able to receive my comments... I'd be really grateful if there is anyone out there (but Shevaun and Julie as you have already let me know about problems with commenting), who cannot comment on my wall please email me or write on my facebook wall so I can see how big this problem is before I email Google... Email: mail@inkyleaves.com. Thanks!

The latest news... at work I am now constructing a talk which I am delivering the 13th October to the Chelsea Physic Garden. I have been seriously 'swatting up' on all things Marianne North and am still discovering new things. Today I found out that Edward Lear's poem 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat' - one of my all time favs - was written for her neice! Edward Lear was an artist and illustrator as well funnily enough, and did a lot of ornithological paintings for the Zoological Society. Here is my own rendition of the poem.


So, alongside this I have been busy dropping off Sally the Savoy and 2011 Grapes to the Discerning Eye Competition at the Mall Galleries... fingers crossed that they get accepted! This is a big first for me.

Waterlilies at Kew Gardens Update:

Well I am plugging away when I can, but it has been a nightmarishly busy September so far. This time around I really am rather laid back to be honest after the craziness of Romilly the Rose and Seaside Plants, which I think is helping me. I have no idea where this is going and so this is making it a bit more fluid. I am struggling a bit with mixing the purple colours as I don't have all the wonderful colours you can get and I onlyhave mauve and crimson pink. Being on a tight budget and a tad stubborn I just stick with my little palette and mix my own greens, but the purples are tricky. The problem is that the waterlilies also don't look very real. Their amazing bold and bright colours are nothing like the black-petrol blue deep waters or the muted and monotonous greens of their leaves.

Had a small problem with my washes as well and had to stretch the paper after painting on it. Luckily a friend of mine Vicki told me a while ago how to do this. She does her's once it is completed by wetting the back with a sponge or squirter/mister, but I had to do it straight away as the water was sliding off the lily pads making one bit very dark and concentrated with pigment... that'll teach me! Having done so much dry brush I had forgotten that this can happen!

Any suggestions for names for these two lilies? I am thnking Wendy and Willamina... but they have friends at the back..

2 comments:

  1. You are such a busy girl Jess! Nice to see you having some fun here and enjoying the process, it can all be so overwhelming when you are constantly critiqued.. well done you for stretching artwork, thanks for the link to my blog, have updated it to show the process. You may run out of W names!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting a out the Owl and the Pussycat! Now names for there two beauties, what about Will & Wayne?

    ReplyDelete