Friday, 2 December 2011

Boris the Broccolli

Otherwise known as: Brassica oleracea L. convar. botrytis (L.) Alef. var. cymosa Duch. 


So this is what I have done so far on Boris. He is very tricky. This is just a trial run really because I felt I had the time, but maybe I don't?! The leaves are so dark, I think many layers of paint are required for Boris, which means time. I do love doing Brassica leaves. Maybe if this isn't to my satisfaction I can quickly do a pencil study last minute.

The greens need a lot of purple in them. As I have a limited palette of 25 Daler Rowney colours, I am using Mauve. The rest of the green is made of Gamhodge Yellow, Phathlo Blue and in places there is Lamp Black and Ultra Marine. I have used a limited palette all my life, and though out the course, but I hope to get a few new watercolours for my birthday from my daddy, who I am seeing this weekend. Ideally I want colours that you can't really achieve in a mix. I'd be really grateful if anyone could let me know of which colours would be best in the comments box, as I have never bought my own watercolours (I inherit them). I am guessing Windsor and Newton are the most preferred as they are easily available.

5 comments:

  1. I really love this Jess - it already looks wonderful. i started with a limited palette too of W&N watercolours ... my favourite colours on their own (not to mix) are Quinacridone Magenta, Quinacridone Violet, Permanent Rose, French Ultramarine, Green Gold (wonderful as a light wash over greens to bring them to life) Winsor Violet .. many more but these are those colours you tend to need that are hard to mix. Hoping that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really handy info Vicki, thank you!! I shall write these down for my shopping trip tomorrow. So excited!

    Glad you like Boris... I suppose he isn't too bad. He was really peeving me off on Tuesday, but Wednesday was a better day of painting. On the left I am going to put a flower stem in full flower. They look so pretty in my garden - the only thing in flower at the moment. So glad I let them bolt. Scarey thing is they are pale yellow - tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess, Boris is looking mighty fine and I am sure he will be a bit of a star in the coming weeks. I agree with Vicki on the colours. All of the ones she has suggested I also use. In addition I have also found Schmincke Translucent Yellow to be extremely handy when used sparingly as a glaze. It works superbly over greens! Naples Yellow is also good when used neat for stamens etc. It is opaque so doesn't mix well with other colours. My absolute favourite red at the moment is... Perylene Maroon. An interesting green to try is Terre Vert but go for Sennelier as W & N is a bit sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful Jess, I really like it too, love the colours and adding the flowers as well will be fantastic! I also agree with Vicki's suggestion and use all of those colours too. I also have the W&N Transparent Yellow, which I have used quite a lot recently.... and the Schmincke Translucent Orange is similar to the Yellow that Sketchbook Squirrel suggested, great to use as a glaze - it makes lower layers of paint pop, when used very sparingly. Another colour I like is W&N Cerulean blue, this is a great colour to use for the highlights of shiny surfaces on leaves.
    All the best with your Boris! :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boris is coming along nicely Jess :)

    ReplyDelete