Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Sketchbook bits...

Tonight I will be doing a bit of work on Polly, but in the meantime I thought I'd post some bits from my sketchbook. None of the pieces correspond to any of the assignments at the moment, as these sketches are things I have done for fun over the past year. My sketchbook is in a ring bound file to keep everything together, along with 2 A4 notebooks.


A pea pod and colours for Sally


Study for Aiden the Aesculus which never got painted. Romilly replaced him.


A Rose study from my roses on Valentines Day 2011


Runner Beans from the garden study - not finished


Berberis dissection


Silene dissection and floral diagram


Orchid anatomy (Cymbidium)


Cyclamen anatomy, floral diagram and dissection. this was done a while back, but I thought it would be useful for Julie. But it may be wrong - can't remember - don't take my word for it! Maybe use it as a guide?


Rose anatomy, floral diagram and dissection

7 comments:

  1. I love getting sketchbook glimpses like this. Thank you for sharing and hope you have a productive evening working on Polly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection of inspirations there Jess ... hard to work inside a sketchbook, I have had to stick pages and bits in mine as I work more loosely. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jess :) This is great and i love your cyclamen dissection!Please tell me what is the top right hand sketch? Is it a transverse section of the ovules? Also what dissections do you think i should include in my cyclamen study? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great Jess and I really love the peapod! I hadn't thought of using a ring-binder for stuff, very organised. The dissections are really well done so looking good for your illustration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie... glad you like the work. It's a floral diagram on the top right of the cyclamen study... It's very diagramatical, but it is how botanists work to demonstrate how the petals are arranged (how they overlap and if the flower is zygomorphic or actinomorphic) and if petals are fused or not. You can also use floral formulae to do the same thing. The outer whorl represents the sepal, the next one in - the petals and the kidney shapes are the anthers (showing direction of dehiscence) and then the ovary wall and the placentation of ovules. I don't think you need to do this for your assignment, but it is very useful when doing a dissection:

    When I do a dissection I do one of these 'transverse' floral diagrams first, and then I draw a line down the middle of it. This shows you what petals are halved and which are not by a longitudinal dissection. I find if you just go for drawing EXACTLY what you see after cutting the flower longitudinally you rarely get a good dissection drawing because the knife never really cuts the middle.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments Jarnie, Vicki and Rebecca! Yes, the ring binder has made it so much easier for me. Alongside the binder are two note books so there will be a lot of cross referencing for the marker's, but c'est la vie! I am going to catch a train to Reading hopefully and drop it all off in March, which will save me a small fortune in sketchbook postage costs! I wonder how much everyone's fat sketchbooks weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, someone else, who is using such a zipper-ring-file-thing as sketchbook. I absolutely love working in that, too... the inside of mine is just much more chaotic and less clean because I don't use punched pockets (anymore) and love mixing up different kinds and sizes of paper... somehow keeps me more inspired to use it and to try and practice different things

    From the Sketches I really love the colours of the first one *_*

    ReplyDelete