Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Boris and his Flowers

So another layer on the flowers while I wait for my magic eraser... I am not an avid fan of yellow flowers, especially ones that are this pale. Still, I mixed my own grey from the primary colours I used in the rest of the painting and it seems to have worked (Lemon Yellow, Mauve and Ultramarine). I am glad I waited this long to do it. I suddenly feel like my skills have launched off the helipad. When I look at some bits of my paintings now and I only wish I started them later when I had this new set of skills. Although, that's silly as I wouldn't have the skills if I hadn't done these painting in the first place. Still it's a good feeling to suddenly feel like you can do anything (or should I say a whole lots more) on the paper

Worked on Pol's yesterday and she is looking a lot better. Polly was actually originally done from my head/memory! I then got a herbarium specimen to check the flowers and put them in later so that the sizes were correct. I now have a plant, so I am able to sort out the shading on her leaves. This is not how how I wanted to paint her, but I had to get on with it and get a lot of the primary layers in place before I went to Bali. I am glad I was that organised now. I will post a picture of Polly tomorrow.



Song of the moment:

When I grow up, I want to be a forester
Run through the moss on high heels
That’s what I’ll do, throwing out boomerang
Waiting for it to come back to me

When I grow up, I want to live near the sea
Crab claws and bottles of rum
That’s what i’ll have staring at the seashell
Waiting for it to embrace me

I put my soul in what I do
Last night I drew a funny man
with dark eyes and a hanging tongue
It goes way bad, I never liked a sad look
From someone who wants to be loved by you

I’m very good with plants
When my friends are away
they let me keep the soil moist
On the seventh day I rest
for a minute or two
then back on my feet and cry for you oooh oh

You’ve got cucumbers on your eyes
Too much time spent on nothing
waiting for a moment to arise
The face in the ceiling and arms too long
I wait for him to catch me

Waiting for you to embrace me

8 comments:

  1. Love your spirit Jess! I love Boris too - I am so impressed by this painting - not a fan of vegetable paintings but you have made him beautiful. I also think it's wonderful you feel your skills are hitting new heights - hopefully when you finish the course you will be able to maintain producing lots of work ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicki. I agree with you on vegetable paintings... they are hard. I could never do something really solid like a Turnip or a Swede because it's really tricky to make it look nice. I wish I had the skills of Sonja - I love her Golden Beetroot and her Celeriac.

    How's your vegetable painting? Do they have allotments in Australia? I think I would have been stuck if it weren't for allotments. At least then you get to see them in their battered state with all the bits on. I get really upset that supermarkets chop all the bits off. Indian shops are good. So much variety too.

    I am thinking of doing another course after this one as it has been good to force me into doing some work. I have so many hobbies that the painting often gets left aside. This course has been really good at bringing it to the forefront of my mind and focusing my energy. Just got to pick one now - one that's cheap and cheerful :)

    Hope your work is going well and that it is a lovely Autumn in Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well my turnips had all their bits chopped off :((( So they are somewhat naked ... but my fruit painting had more leaves than fruit so hopefully my tutor will be kind.
    We have a vegetable patch but with the incredible heat wave everything suffered.
    I did this course to establish a work habit - I actually fee like if things go well I could manage more than the assignment now - even do a painting on the side ... but when things don't go well - eek you're lucky if I get the assignment done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work Jessica! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure it will be a beautiful painting Vicki. You can just put it on the comments sheet that you couldn't find anything with bits on. I can't wait to see it. I always look forward to seeing you work - it's such a treat.

    Yes, it's funny how this course, although a complete pain, is actually really good at getting us all to knuckle down. It's great news that you feel like you could even do a bit on the side as well. Hopefully nothing will go wrong, but I know what you mean... I pray that nothing will go wrong in the next two weeks that will make me have to start over. I don't think I could face it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your diploma pieces are looking great ,I can't wait to see them finished;I really love Boris' flowers xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Claire, that's really kind of you

    ReplyDelete