Saturday, 11 February 2012

Waterlilies for the Sketchbook...


Some of my water lily studies in pencil

So during this cold snap I have been ultra-busy trying to get my sketchbook sorted out at the same time as my portfolio work. I am going away to Bristol for a short spell and hope that I will get most of my mixed flora completed then. If not, then I will be handing in with diploma course 8! Boris and Polly aren't completed either, so the race is on. I am trying to pace myself though. After drawing all day I feel like I can't do anything in the evenings, so I relax. It is remarkable how tiring drawing can be... it really uses the brain. It's like learning a new language and we all know how exhausting that can be!



A Snowy Kew Gardens:




 The Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art in the snow yesterday

6 comments:

  1. Gosh snow! How are the coping in the hot houses at Kew and in the Lily pond house, it must be freezing over without heating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These lily drawings are gorgeous Jess ... what a workload you have!! Great to see the gallery too - disappointed not to see a big exhibition there but will enjoy Marianne North's gallery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lilies are too good just for a sketchbook Jessie! You should use them for a card or something :) Love your winter pics from Kew...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the Temperate House closed early today because they don't like the doors being opened with the current temperatures... I think the Palm house is heated: "Heating was an important element of the glasshouse’s design, as tropical palms need a warm, moist environment to thrive. Originally, basement boilers sent heat into the glasshouse via water pipes running beneath iron gratings in the floor. A tunnel ran between the Palm House and the Italianate Campanile smoke stack that stands beside Victoria Gate. This 150-metres-long (490 ft) passage served the dual purpose of carrying away sooty fumes to be released from the chimney and enabling coal to be brought to the boilers by underground railway. Today, the glasshouse is heated using gas and the tunnel houses Palm House Keeper Wesley Shaw’s office."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Vicki! Rachel Pedder-Smith's painting should be up and that is AMAZING. As is the Marianne North Gallery - always a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alena. Maybe when I get my sketchbook back I can use everything for cards and the like.Good idea! The pencil drawings take sooooo long. Now I can see why I didn't do the work at the time. It takes up so much time, tie I'd rather be spending 'polishing' my final pieces.

    ReplyDelete