Sunday, 25 March 2012

I have been very quiet lately

So I have disappeared off the face of the world wide web for a while, enjoying some well earned rest and sunshine. The weather is formidably good here in England and the gardens at Kew are stunning. All the Magnolia tree's have come into blossom this week and the sticky buds on the horse chestnut have weeping, bright green leaves erupting from them. Beautiful.

So after my weekend in Dorset I have done a little bit of sewing and reading and a lot of tidying! I am hoping to start my new project soon - maybe after the Mars and Venus retrograde. I need a title for the new project, and until I have found one I am not going to fully elaborate on the idea. But I will say it involves several large scale paintings and will probably take many years to do.

Surfing the net I found this brilliant artist - Lucy Sparrow. She really appeals to my sense of humour. I also like the way she works.


Lucy Sparrow ©


Lucy Sparrow ©

Other news: Stephanie Ayres - my good natural history illustrating friend - has now got her sponsoring webpage up and running. Stephanie is an amazing artist and you can see her work here and here. She is off to Borneo to illustrate the flora and fauna of a rapidly disappearing ecosystem. I think her work is very important. If you want to sponsor her, please visit this link:


I have just bumped into Mervi Hjelmroos-Koski in the Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art - great to see her and her group. They picked a good week to come to England. You can read about her trip here.

Rachel Pedder-Smith's painting is on it's way to the gallery this week. This is going to be a short show, so if you can find the time to come and see it, I recommend that you come. Rachel will be in the gallery on the 31st March from noon. She'll be standing near her painting ready to answer any of your questions. For more information about this event please click here.


A section of the Herbarium Specimen Painting
Rachel Pedder-Smith ©

My colleague has written a nice piece about a section on Rachel Pedder-Smith's painting here.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to see the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy on Friday night. This was a great slot as it was not too busy. I was absolutely blown away by this exhibition. It made me feel like I had to pick up a brush in that very moment and start painting. David Hockney - The Bigger Picture is full of inspiration and it is great to see an artist using nature and the natural landscape as their subject. It was fabulous seeing how people reacted. The visitors would often come off the busy Friday-night streets of London with a scowl on their face, and their heads facing down, eyes fixed to the floor. Then you'd see this transformation (me included). Shoulders rolled back, heads up, mouths either open or with a great big grin and lots of laughter and general joy. The visitors were all very polite and courteous, which you don't always get with this types of exhibitions. It was lovely to see.

I left the exhibition feeling totally nourished.

This is what art is about for me. It should be there preliminary to make people feel good, and then maybe offer something up for discussion.


I hope to be back sometime soon. With news about my new project.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see that David Hockney hasn't lost any of his exuberance, his work is fascinating.
    Lucy Sparrow's work made me chuckle. I have something of a quirky sense of humour, so these really appealed to me too.

    ReplyDelete