Saturday, 2 June 2012

In  the corner of my room...

...there is a pile of rubbish. It's been growing for sometime and well... it was beginning to smell and take over. You all know how small my room is, so of course when I discovered that the pile was encroaching on precious territory I decided that this would never do and did something about it today.  Despite me washing everything, the cartoons were beginning to go a bit manky so it seems I cannot keep hold of a year's worth of rubbish - thought not! You can't say I didn't try though... 
 
 Fortunately my pile hadn't reached this state of proportions!

Alas before environmental health were onto me I concluded that I had to remove this pile of rubbish  - organise it and bin/recycle the smelly bits. If you are wondering why I have rubbish in my room, it's part of the Bare Necessities Project. So today I have been measuring the dimensions of every punnet, box and packet in sight and recording all the elements (bar codes, companies, ingredients, country of origin, varieties of plants, country of packaging and how much packaging - lots have extra stickers stuck on them). This has been a valuable experience. In a month I have collected about 4 pillow cases worth of rubbish (not flattened). I know a lot about where things are grown, how much FSC approved cardboard is used in juice cartons and what food stuffs are good value for money (by weight). 


This stall is right by Henry's house - I really want one of these coffee 
bean sacks - they are only a fiver...  
Image from Flextiles

My Bare Necessities spreadsheet is enormous and because I am a nerd it is my pride and joy. I don't fill in the cells everyday though. I often take notes on scrap paper and am now able to remember everything I use/consume for several days at a time. I have this down to an art! All the packaging information is going under the product/plant as a 'comment'.


Cool Banana Japanese Cartons 
Image from Vickie Burns

So, rubbish... all sorted pretty much. There will certainly be a lot for the recycling man on Wednesday regardless of the Jubilee bank Holiday as I have added nicely to our household rubbish today! Goodness knows what he'll think I have been up to. There are lots of cartons with their fronts and backs missing and egg boxes with their tops cut out.  I was hoping to do some painting... I did start a Tulip this evening which I will endeavour to carry on with during the course of Sunday. Unfortunately, this packaging scenario really needed to be sorted out, that and washing my hair (see last post). 

2 comments:

  1. Good girl Jess - you are still at it and kudos to you for doing something so different and rewarding.
    I miss seeing your paintings too so hope you will post more soon.
    I am so over clutter in my house - though not rubbish - time to get rid of some stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Yep - good girl! I have started a new painting... felt I ought to get cracking on some art work as well.

    ReplyDelete