Tuesday, 25 September 2012

The Golden Age of Botanical Art

 New botanical art book available from Kew and Amazon:


This book brings together the stories of the intrepid explorers and the many professional artists who recorded the flora they discovered whilst on their expeditions. It's packed with pictures and has a 'canvas-textured' hard cover which makes it feel quite special. I feel that some of the reproductions aren't quite up to scratch and it does have the appearance of being a 'cheap' publication. However regardless of this, it is packed with information and images and would make a good addition to any botanical art book collection.

 A section of Ferdinand Bauer's colour chart


 Doryanthes excelsa painted by E. Weddell



Tropaeolum dekerianum painted by Jose Jeronimo Triana under the direction of Jose Mutis


4 comments:

  1. This looks like a good read and a wise purchase. I sense another investment for the Squirrel archives.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am busy waiting for the new Rory McEwen book... I have had to go on a book ration for the past 2 and half years due to lack of space, so I have to spend my pennies wisely these days. Can't wait for the Rory book.

      Delete
  2. I love the last illustration very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how much you liked the Mutis paintings. You should pop into the Botanic Garden in Madrid next time you are there and have a look at them again. Speaking of Mutis - any news from Antonio?

      Delete