Thursday, 15 November 2012

Number two of three


Botanical illustrations of Tulips in progress (Tulipa sp.)

I was very disciplined last night when I got home from work. I had some cashews and opened my mail and then went straight upstairs to my room and got on with this painting. My 'plan' to increase my production has got off on a good start. I decided to start the tulip on the left yesterday, as the one in the middle is annoying me and I want to get an over all idea of how the composition will look. To be honest I am just playing around at the moment.

I had a lovely day in the gallery at Kew yesterday - met up with Jacqui Pestell (you can find her on Twitter) and her group from the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh and gave them a little tour of the gallery. I have to say I find the courses that RBGE offer are (in my view) the best institutional courses in the country. It's a brilliant programme and the classroom they work in is fabulous and well lit. I'd like to go back up north one day and complete one of their workshops.


8 comments:

  1. Looking great so far Jess ... I look forward to seeing the trio complete .. love to see you paint :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww - thanks Vicki. How's the work in Johnston's studio going?

      Delete
    2. Not too bad at all thanks Jess ... finished the last assignment before final diploma portfolio - trying to be very organised and not worry too much about the extreme lack of time!

      Delete
    3. Thanks the ticket Vicki! Good to hear you are being ultra organised. You'll be fine because I am thinking about you and your work everyday and sending you magical powers :)

      Delete
  2. Oh any excuse for me to go to Scotland is good in my view. Good to see this one progressing beautifully. You have such good control of those washes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but I find it's better to go in the summer, it can be so DARK at this time of year. SAD lamp at the ready!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jessica, I think these tulips are wonderful, real depth of colour. I'm completely blown away by your brassicas, the chalky green of the leaves is immaculately observed. Having done a graphite savoy cabbage a few years back (and getting seriously but happily lost in all the wrinkles and bubbling of the leaves), I think you've excelled in getting it just right. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie for your kind words and support. I love leaves, especially brassicas. I'd like to do some big life sized paintings of different types of kale. I enjoyed painting Boris very much, although I found his yellow flowers very tricky. Still not really understood the power of yellow and how to get it right. I guess we are all learning all of the time... Thanks again!

      Delete