Thursday, 21 February 2013

Darkening


Just before pootling off to Tunisia I did manage to do a bit of painting. My drawing board isn't fully erected yet as it's blooming heavy and I when I am off work Henry isn't and when he's off work I am not etc... etc... So that bit of it hasn't been done yet. However as I am raring to paint after a month off, I have made a mock board by temporarily dangling an A0 art folder across the stand. I can officially say that IT IS AMAZING to be able to paint with the paper tilted. I can feel my neck saying 'thank you' as I move the brush along the paper, and the new studio is south west facing, so my eyes are also very happy with all this daylight.

On Monday, while Pink Floyd tunes resonated around the Inky Leaves studio, my brushes  made a bit of progress on the left petal of Chelsea Tulips. You can see what it was like last time here.


Chelsea tulips (Tulipa sp.)


I think going darker is an improvement and after one more day this will be finished. I didn't submit anything for the SBA exhibition in the end as I decided that I wanted to concentrate on other things such as my Bare Necessities Project. I also hope for this particular piece to go to Chelsea Physic Garden - but we shall see.

Chelsea tulips (Tulipa sp.)

Chelsea tulips (Tulipa sp.) - close up on one of the petals

I have also been working on Monstera Problema - making it darker and working on the outlines and the shadows on the left leaves. The paper is so dreadful though that it's taking ages... A hint to my botanical artist readers - never paint on Somerset paper! I originally purchased it for my intaglio print making, so I knew it wouldn't be ideal for watercolour paints, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I guess I just didn't want to waste it... We learn from our mistakes that is for sure.

Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera delicosa)

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous Jess - love all the pics - and love the depth!
    Hope the new studio and setup means we get to see more from you ....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki... yes I hope so too. Just got to head my head into gear. :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful design. You are a wonderful Artiest man. Thank you for sharing beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Spiral Ginger - that's really kind of you. I love your website. I used to work for a place called 'Architectural Plants' which you may have heard of... lots of things I think you'd like. It was a lovely place to work!

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely jess, I really like the close up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mum... Well done on getting that gallery sorted out. I look forward to seeing more of your work now on your bloggy-do.

      Delete
  4. Glad your new studio is working well for you Jess. It must be such a relief to have a comfortable work space, especially with Bare Necessities being so big. Chelsea Tulips are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarnie! Yes the new studio is amazing... just want I needed. I hope all is going well for you and the final pieces? I must go and visit your blog and have a looksy!

      Delete