Monday, 25 February 2013

Yogi Lion Update



 So I have been a busy bee during my hourly commutes into Kew...


And today I did a bit more work on this bad boy (below). He's bad because he is taking me ages to layer-up. I knew I should never have given this painting the name 'Monstera problema'! Hah! So I have been busy making all the lines much crisper and smoothing out the existing layers before then putting another 3 layers on. I have done a fair bit of burnishing on this too, which has been a first for me. My mum bought me a really lovely agate burnisher for Christmas and it's brilliant! It's really sorting out the textured surface of this horrible Somerset paper.



The hardest bit for me are the veins - they are a very tricky pastel green and are square in nature, not round, so the shading is a bit different.  Plus the intensity of the bright green disappears as the leaves come towards you. What's tricky about capturing that is that there isn't much intensity in the dark places, so not much to work with... It's all good practice though isn't it?!



4 comments:

  1. I think you've done a great job with this enormous leaf and I love it as a design style too - has great movement and light.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, Monstera seems to be getting there... I might put it to one side soon just for a break as progress is slowing down and start something new. Exiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This blog is so exciting. And this painting is beautiful - looks full of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - lovely to hear your comments

      Delete