Saturday 7 March 2015

Half way through Ananas comosus

Pineapple (Ananus comosus)

It's been a pretty focused week this week. There is a quiet retrospective energy going on which has encouraged me to hide in the studio for long periods of time. The full moon has slowed my thoughts down a bit, which has meant that I am not doing a rush-job on this pineapple and instead am taking the time to enjoy the process. 



Pineapple (Ananus comosus)

The left side is very different to the right side. I am using more washes on the right and almost a different palette. I am not sure if you can tell, but the Pineapple has been lit from the bottom-left in this piece, so the base won't be that dark once it is finished. Which will hopefully be by the end of March. I need to get everything done by then so I can focus on helping to curate this exhibition we have holding in Granada (next post). I also have a commission to be getting on with - but it isn't out in flower yet. Interestingly, Gaynor Dickeson is also busy painting a Pineapple. You can read more about her journey on her blog.


A close up on the left side of the Pineapple (Ananus comosus)
On the other hand, things are still hotting up outside. Yesterday I spotted six different butterflies. The farmers are clearing out the irrigation channels and the Shepherds have taken to bringing their goat herds into the shady Poplar woods. You have never heard so much noise, as the sound of their bells clanging and echoing off of the trunks. I could hear them from a mile off. The 'whilstling cyclist' cycled past me yesterday with a basket full of laurel - I guess he's going to be using it in the kitchen?! I've not seen the peacock for a while, and I ask myself if this was some freak sighting.

Sierra Nevada in March
Egrets in the fields


Goats in the woods

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this pineapple is going to be outstanding. Yes I can tell it's lit differently to the norm and that's what make it appear so other worldly, yet beautiful.
    Go Jess ... love it - also love the photos of goats in the woods, now that would be a beautiful canvas too!

    ReplyDelete